If you’re tired of looking at unsightly varicose veins and spider veins, it’s time for a consultation with a vein specialist (phlebologist) or vascular surgeon. Your first appointment will begin with a complete medical history overview and physical examination. During this appointment, the doctor may recommend advanced diagnostic testing to detect the presence of vein disease.
Preparing for your consultation
There are a few simple steps you can take to get the most information from your first visit:
- Write down your symptoms – Jot down all of your symptoms, even those that may seem unrelated to varicose veins.
- Know your family history – Occurrences of varicose veins or spider veins in your family can increase your risk.
- List all medications – Take note of all vitamins, supplements and medications you’re currently you’re taking.
- Write down questions – Make a list of questions for your doctor, such as:
- What is causing my symptoms?
- Are there other causes of varicose veins?
- What tests will I need?
- How are varicose veins or spider veins treated?
- Will insurance pay for vein treatment?
- How can I manage varicose veins?
- Are there any activity restrictions?
Questions for you during a vein screening
Your doctor may ask you some key questions, too. He or she will likely need to know:
- When did you first notice varicose veins or spider veins?
- Are you experiencing pain, and if so, how severe is it?
- Does anything improve your symptoms?
- What makes your symptoms worse?
Preferred care for varicose veins and spider veins
Chicago Vein Institute is the preferred vein institute in Chicago. Our team of vein specialists is led by Dr. Mensur O. Sunje. A world-renowned, board-certified phlebologist, Dr. Sunje has dedicated his career to providing state-of-the-art treatments that help people feel and look great.
Adding to the strength of the CVI team is Dr. John P. Federbusch, who is considered a pioneer in phlebology. He has specialized in the diagnosis and nonsurgical injection treatment of varicose and spider veins since 1988.
To schedule your vein consultation in Chicago, call 773-506-7340 or click here to use our online form.